Umbai Trip

Friday, January 29, 2010

I wrote this last week which means it actually happened 2 weeks ago

Khalis
wanted to cheer me up so Saturday last week he suggested that we spend the night elsewhere. We discussed the options available and decided to go to Bagan Lalang.. While packing our things, Khalis suddenly changed his mind and decided to go to Umbai instead. There was only one hotel/chalet in Umbai that we could find on the net.. I was lil bit unsure coz we couldnt find any pics of its rooms.. but we booked a room there for 1 night anyway.

We gerak at 12pm and reached bandar hilir at 2pm. I'd never been to Melaka before (I mean, like really visit the places there).. I didnt really take lots of pic in the city..coz being listed in Unesco World Heritage City its not like the city's gonna change pon. I wanted to try nyonya food, but we're both not familiar with Melaka city so we ended up having lunch @ the foodcourt in this new mall at Dataran Pahlawan. So we had nasi ayam penyet and bakso soup. Nothing special with the food I guess..


We arrived at the chalet at 345pm.. From outside it was ok..It had a kampung feel to it..See the pics below..not bad eh?


Our room


But once we got into out room, it was totally a different story...Lets just say this - I've never stayed in a room any worse than this. I couldnt even bring myself to take photos of the room. and I dont wish to disclose the name of the establishment coz it could be pretty damaging to them as there are lotsa ppl out there who are like me - decide on the place to stay based on the reviews we read on the net. Plus, its a bumiputra-owned.

I kept thinking maybe its bcoz we got the worst room. Our room was the only room in the reception+dining hall building itself. They had the music on most of the time and it was really loud. The dining hall was above our room. My suspicion was that its the kitchen area coz we could hear screeches and loud bangs on its floor (i.e. our ceiling).. They did very lousy job with the paint and there're cracks on the wall. Right next to our window was the main walkway and there were few benches where other guests/employees often lepak2 at. We could hear every single thing they were discussing.

The bed and pillows were really hard. And the pillows were flat and dirty (without the cover) that if I post the pic here, nobody would go there. And the toilet - it wasnt exactly dirty, but was built with the cheapest stuff they could find on earth.

I'm not fussy. In the past when we went traveling we always chose cheap B&Bs...but this one was really really bad

The sole reason we went to Umbai was for the seafood. I tot that Umbai Terapung was the only seafood place in Umbai but there were actually a few of them. Khalis called his dad and he recommended the very first seafood place in Umbai, Parameswara at Umbai Pernu.

We ordered:

Fruits

Otak2

Siakap Bakar Plain - The siakap there were all huge.

Sotong Goreng Tepung (This was just sekor)

Pari Bakar Sambal

Razor clam masak sambal

We only ordered 4 dishes and still, we couldnt finish all.

And my verdict. Not the best I've tried. Everything was only so-so. And I aint coming back. and its not just me. Khalis too.

So we played this game - How Much. And I won. Khalis's number was RM20 higher while mine's only RM4. (both of us had no knowledge of the price/kg of everything). When it comes to money-related stuff, I'm always right. And he knows that he's no match for me.

1 comments:

maro said...

orang laki memang lebih pemurah,orang puan kedekut sket..tu sebab hayya menang.wakaka