Movie Nights

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

When Khalis was away, I watched movies almost every night. And I didn't switch on the tv for a week. I think i did mention before that I dont like tv that much. Khalis said that I dont watch tv (read: news, documentaries) because I'm not curious enough. I'm not gonna deny it. I couldnt be bothered with all these 'academic' stuff. Of course, its good to know lotsa things. But really, do you need to know about EVERYTHING? Like, will it make your life any better if you know more about Egyptian History than I do?But of course, there are things that you'd like to know just to be prepared for whatever, just in case. Like Khalis loves to watch these 2 gross documentaries, Survivorman and Man vs. Wild. He said they teach you lotsa things about how to survive in the wild when its just you and nature. But I cant bring myself to watch those kind of shows. People eating snakes, skunks, maggots, and drinking their own urine, thats not exactly my cup of tea. More like, shows that would bring out the bulimic in me.

But anyway, the movies that I watched.

First was He's Just Not That Into You.
I think its good. I enjoyed it.But I didn't quite get the message, or messages. I think what it meant to say was, love is all about luck. Some ppl get lucky, some don't. Doesnt matter whose or which books' advise you take. Its totally irrelevant to how successful you're gonna be at finding love. I dont have any actors/actresses that I particularly like in this movie. But its a movie that'll make you feel good. Especially if you're alone, like me.


Then I watched My Sister's Keeper.
This isnt just ANY movie to me. I read the book I think about 3 years ago. And its THE book that got me into reading English fiction. Ok, I'm always a reader. But I didnt read English fiction that much then. Only chicklit from few authors and Harry Potter. And its because I hardly found good english novels that I liked. The library in school had lotsa English books but only the boring ones. And I'm the kinda person who has to finish everything that I've started to read. So reading the books in the library was a pure torture to me. I didnt want to, but I had to finish them anyway. My Sister's Keeper was introduced to me by my ex-housemate, Charlene. She got thousands of books. And she wrote reviews on every book that she read.
And I didnt like the movie. Naturally, a few characters went missing (i.e. wiped out), including the girl I love - Champion's ex gf. I think the movie failed to give me the same feeling that I got while reading the book. Picoult's books are not so much (relatively) on the action part, but its more about whats going thru everyone's minds. Thats what I like about Picoult, she's extremely good at narrating and visualising 'feeling'. So what I saw in the movie was what everyone's doing and not how everyone felt.
And what I hate most was that - they even changed the ending. Which I totally dont understand why. with that ending, Anna's oficially removed from being her sister's keeper.





Then I watched I Love You Beth Cooper.
Not that great I'd say. Mebi I'd like it more if I watched it say, 10 years ago. I think this movie had no story to it. Just a bunch of kids doing crazy things, encountered crazy ppl on one evening.



Then I watched 500 Days of Summer.
This movie has gotten really good reviews. There's nothing spectacular about the story itself. Its just a normal boy-meet-girl story.but I think the way the story was told was good. And again, its about luck. I couldnt help thinking that the lead actor's so familiar. And then I remembered that he was in 10 Things I Hate About You. He's grown up so much that I hardly recognised him anymore. And the girl, I remembered her in one episode of House.


Then I watched The Ugly Truth.
It was funny. I dont particularly like Katherine Heigl and Gerard Butler, I think Katherine Heigl esp, is an overrated Hollywood actress. But anyway, its a good movie to watch, although like the majority of those in this genre, failed to explain why and how they fell in love with each other.

0 comments: